Monday, April 6, 2009

The Booze

Hi there! I'm back in no time. :)
Actually, it is something that has bugged and frustrated me a lot and I desperately need to puke it out. Before proceeding further, here's a disclaimer:

"All incidents, people and places mentioned in this post are real and any derived similarity with anyone or anything, living or dead is totally upto the readers' discretion."

What has been bugging me? Well, the title must have given you a hint. My conscience and self-concept has been under immense pressure and facing a number of challenges in the past 1-2 years. Yet, I'm trying really hard to retain and evolve my beliefs and pass this test. So far so good. One such challenge is "ALCOHOL". I have been a die hard antialcoholist all my life (and I presume that I will stay so forever, but who knows what the future holds). Neither do I like having alcohol nor do I like others having it (Don't know why). Well, but what can I do? I can't stop others from doing what they wish to do. I can just contain myself. In what context am I saying this? It's all about the Great Hostel Booze that I recently encountered.

Yes, it happened this week, one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I had just came back from home after an extended weekend, had a dining extravaganza (But the quality of food turned it into a Paisa Waste Party) and there was more in store- a maniacal liquor spree, and that washed down all my jovial mood. Earlier, there were a few of them who used to drink, but this time the alcohol span was too wide. Guys who had never even tasted liquor were taking neat shots. People whom I used to trust with alcohol, betrayed me. Those who used to go big words against drinking also submitted themselves into the madness. But still, there were some (an absolute minority) who could refrain from joining in. It is really hard for me to understand what pleasures can one derive from these filth-tasting beverages. It's not the taste I'm sure. Probably, it's their cowardice of using alcohol as a device to evade the conscious or whatever.

One more question that bugs me- "What makes people who have family values against alcoholism fell into this habit?" I have tried finding answers and here are some that I have understood:
1. The stereotypical notion of machismo. "Kab tak bachche rahoge, daaru piyo, mard bano!" But contrary to this, alcoholism is a major cause of male impotency (I googled it! [:)]).
2. In this age, one of the chief motivators towards alcohol is peer pressure. You're tempted to have a sip because your friends do so quite often. You want to fit in, you look upto them, you want to be COOL like them and so on and so forth. Well, I've just got one thing to say to them, "Dikhawe pe mat jaao apni akal ladayo!"
3. Girls like it!! Duh! One of the silliest things to hear. I mean how can anybosy claim that is true in general, maybe some of them like it, but believe me, most do not. Besides, which girl will want to kiss you when you stink worse than urine.
4. Status symbol: This is for all those wannabes who think that drinking will make them HIGH SOCIETY. The cliche of SOCIAL DRINKING is courtesy- these guys. Drinking seldom brings social acceptance, but it can bring about social alienation.
There may be more such reasons that I have not mentioned here.

I have tried to advise (rather preach) my friends against the use of alcohol and will continue to do so. There are better things in life. But that is the best I can do. I can't command or dictate anybody. I'll be happy for those who don't fall for it and will lament for those who give in. After all, they all are my dear friends whom I love the most.
Statutory Warning: Consumption of liquor is injurious to health.

15 comments:

  1. very nicely done smiley......
    u r the real well-wisher of your friends... [:)]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah its the awareness maybe which is lacking, most who do not drink get the values from family i guess. u doing a good job man! but i suppose u shudn't get frustrated, preach this value with a fair heart, coz those who drink are not BAD but mistaken, could be u or i even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not frustrated at those who drink but I am frustrated by the low efficiency of my efforts. I don't hate those who drink, but care for them. This care frustrates me. But, I shall continue to do the best of my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good strong post
    very clear.......
    and the best part - 'extremely honest'
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i absolutely agree with what you have got to say. the reasons behind people deciding to start drinking that you have given are very true. as far as i am concerned, i do not have much of an issue with people who drink. however, even i despise the people who do so without any responsibility and only in their attempts to follow the crowd and think that drinking makes them look 'cool'. in the 'party' mentioned by you, i could identify so many people who indulged in drinking and were ready to drink a lot just to show that they have the ability to be under control and in their senses even when they had emptied half the bottle.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I strongly agree :
    for all alcohol related troubles and even drug addict people please contact :

    dr.(chota doctor) Vivek Goyal(after all son of a psychiatrist)
    Mind Control Centre (MC Centre)(no guys it isn`t "m.c." centre !!)
    A-12 Jwalamukhi Hostel
    IIT-Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Ankit..
    The reasons u have mentioned do drive people to alcohol however the main reason is the inner desire in people to be completely free of all problems in life, not to worry abt them, n to enjoy the moment to the fullest. People are simply unable to cope with pressures of life especially in IIT. Alcohol acts like a tonic, gives them a kick. I am anti-alcoholic too. But u have to live with it.
    P.S : It has been scientifically proven that small amounts of alcohol is good for the heart .. especially wine, so i dnt think we can be extremely harsh..

    ReplyDelete
  9. What we are talking about here is not merely health hazards but self-control which may lead to addiction.
    ...and using alcohol to relieve your tensions is insane. Indulging in sports or other such activities is far better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i completely endorse your opinion. to use alcohol to relieve yourself of tension is madness... it is like running away from truth instead of facing it. you may forget it for a while, but you will certainly have to bear the repercussions later, which may well become worse.
    occasional consumption for fun... say just for the heck of it... is understandable to an extent provided one knows where to draw the line!
    so... CHEERS EVERYONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very ethical........very ideal my dear!!!....may be this is all true.Well indeed it is that all u mentioned.To me, you are a person filled with extreme emotions.You care n you care a lot not just about the things that you do but as well the things that your friends n other people around u, do!! This is not wrong in any way......its good to be concerned abt them whom u love.....but u need to understand one thing....that there is no way u can make one do things your way.Think of yourself, for example, you dont agree to do things that u dont wish to do even if ur best of friends ask u to do(, or may be smtimes ur parents).I am not saying that u are doing anything wrong by trying to stop people from drinking or blah blah..many other things.Its just that u need to understand that only self-realisation could change them(us). Like one person i saw in the party was closely experiencing the so called 'masti' time........n mark my words his expressions signified that he didn't liked it one bit.......i m sure not me,not you but his self-realisation would surely stop him from drinking again.
    wat i think is that u need to think less and enjoy ur life. this one life of ours is already too complex to handle, n u concern for many others.....so just chill man n find happiness in every moment.......thats wat i have learnt so far.
    But yes keep up the good wrk, it's gng to help someone or the other for sure. If not its a good way to keep up the BOOZE........ :)
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well samurai, what should I say? I think you are a bit too cynical and pessimistic about everything. You clearly categorize things into ethical and unethical. Here, there is no matter of ethics, it's just a matter of belief. That's what I mentioned in the post.
    I never argued anything about forcing my will on someone, I just have the right to say what I feel, and I only did that, nothing more.
    Believe me, I'm chill most of the time in life, barring some of such moments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ankit....

    u realy have nice thoughts yaar...m completely in favour of ur opinion dude.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey....wat u thnk is fair enough....bt u shldnt gt frustrated or psychd wen u c ure friends indulgin in all dis...yaar u cant chnge nybdy..though u can mke dem realise bt it will b helpful nly wen dey themselves realise...nd u hve said vry true abt gals...[:)]....dey ll really hate a guy to kiss if dat dirty smell comes frm within him..actualy dere r mny reasons vih force dem...through dis post u can mke dem feel guilty of wat dey r doing bt still its dere own perception....newyz gud job dear.....[:)]..i agree vid u completely..

    ReplyDelete